Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: mark harfenist (markharfenistbellcoho.com)
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 22:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 5/18/08, Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> wrote:

> If  I
> had a million
> dollars to invest, I would build group homes for teens and
> post teens
> who are not ready and can't afford to live alone but
> need to be on
> their own. Something similar to college dorms for kids who
> don't go to
> college. They don't have the advantage of that
> transition.

An agency for which I have been working operates just such housing in two counties in northwestern Washington State. It is difficult to set up, administrate and staff, but fills a genuine need for teenagers and young adults who cannot, for various reasons, live with parents or other caretakers. Various services are also provided, including comprehensive case management.

I assume similar programs are available elsewhere.

Mark