Re: bequest from individual to a community
From: David Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:16:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Sally (and I'm sending this to the entire list, since others may be
interested).

I'll add a twist to the idea that stems from a dream I have. Is there an
affordable housing land trust in your area? If so, and if the owner is
interested, s/he might consider giving it to the trust -- which creates and
maintains permanently affordable housing, giving long-term leases that are
actually quasi-ownership to qualified low-income people while retaining the
other elements of ownership -- and add a provision in the will or trust
requiring the land trust to work with the community to market the house to
individuals who want to be full cohousing participants.
An added benefit would be that if the owner's estate is large enough to trigger
taxes, the gift would be deductible, likely eliminating any such tax.
I realize that simply receiving ownership and reselling would be tempting for a
community -- think of all the amenities you could get with the money -- but
perhaps this more altruistic approach would appeal to all of you.
The prospective donor could contact me for free, related legal advice if s/he
wishes and is over 60. My job is manager of a statewide legal assistance
program for seniors. The dream referred to in the first sentence is to create a
project by which we would be arms-length partners with land trusts (perhaps
spurring the creation of more of them) by offering objective advice to seniors
interested in making such donations (there are a lot of potential variations on
the theme) while promoting the idea in general. The result over time could be
creation of significantly more permanently affordable housing, one property at
a time.
David Mandel
Sacramento