Re: A Conversation on the Economic Crisis: How To Do It?
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 06:32:22 -0700 (PDT)
Since I'm not able to attend this teleconference, let me offer a few points
on what's happening here at Arboretum Cohousing in Madison WI.

Somehow, we managed to weather the financial storm (not to mention
the worst winter in 100 years) to create a 40 home community.  We are
seen as the most successful condo style project in the Madison area
this year.  When I say to someone in local real estate that we are at
95% sold before movein, jaws drop.  All around us are condos at 5-50%
sold.  Of course, we have a different product, it's not just a house you
are buying, it's a community.

Our banker has been saying recently that we are the best thing in his
loan portfolio. He's got condo projects all over the state, which are not moving all that well. Initially, we were seen as a fair sized risk within
his bank and the local banking community.  Now we are seen as a
high performing asset.

We are currently in the Closing stage, where we find out if our members
can truly find the financial means to join the community.  Many have
been able to close just fine, some didn't need to sell homes.  However,
there have been some with challenges in selling their homes.  We've
done some self-help within the community, staging and cleaning for
example, as well as talking about what does and doesn't work.  Even
with that help, some are still having trouble selling their existing homes.
We have devised a Land Contract, which our lender has approved, with
mildly generous terms for these home owners.  This allows for sharing
of holding costs and keeps committed members in the community who
have been thrown a curveball by the current housing market.  The Land
Contract is only a short term measure, though, and for the folks doing
it it means they are holding 2 properties for a time.

For those with newly forming cohousing projects, this may well be a
time to have some patience.  If you have land, as the Dover group does,
perhaps you go to your lender and renegotiate terms.  Internally, see if
you can structure something so those you take some financial risk now
get a better deal later. This may be a relatively small group, yet having a few that are willing to take this sort of risk and weather the storm will put you in great shape when things get better. It is, though, about taking some risk. If you can do this, you have something to offer banks, potential
members, contractors, and so on.  Everyone is looking for who is going
to take that big risk at the center. This may take several months or even
a year or so, it's somewhat like doing a big fundraising campaign.

At the same time, you should hone your vision and look at how you market
your community.  Work on your web site, either create one from scratch
or hone the one you already have going, as this is the #1 way your potential
buyers will find out about your community, as well as potential lenders.

End of the day, this is about managing your risk. You don't get big rewards
without taking risks...

--Dirk