Re: Need some data - Pam in Fresno
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 29, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Pam Rank wrote:

Any surveys or data collected that you are aware of which specifically addresses how cohousers access information? What I mean specifically is - I've been told that most cohousers do not own nor watch television,

I doubt if it is true that cohousers don't watch TV, but for many here a big source is public radio, and newspapers. And journals. "Everyone" seems to listen to PBS. Some download radio news programs to their iPods. Others in the car. Others just listen.

On TV: When we moved in there was to be absolutely no TV in the commonhouse and some people did not have a TV at home.

Then we needed a TV for watching movies together.

Then we started watching programs together, like the Academy Awards, election coverage, football games.

Then some people wanted satellite TV and agreed to pay for it themselves.

The third year of satellite, about 5 years after move in, we put it in the operating budget with one person standing aside who objected on moral reasons -- TV had ruined society with its commercial and rightist messages. Controlled by the conservatives. He's a Green Party Candidate and a life long radical. Now close to 90. After a year or two, he watches TV with us -- special programs. Including the Academy Awards.

Some people liked having satellite in the CH because they could watch it there but didn't have it on in the house. They sent their spouses and teens to the CH.

As people started having children and they got older, more TVs appeared in houses, with cable. And computer games that were the scourge of the earth previously.

I would say on the whole, that people watch far less than "the Average American." If you go to someone's house, it is less likely to be on. But if it is, it is PBS or an educational TV channel, like National Geographic, etc. The kids do seem to know alot about Disney Channel and those pink power things.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC