Re: land contracts
From: Janet Kelly (janetkelly28gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:18:31 -0800 (PST)
Hi Richard,

yes, the legal advantage is that retaking the property is easier under a
land contract.  Since these agreements were all wanted by everyone on both
sides, I drafted the document to make it clear that if the buyer's house
doesn't sell and they can't ultimately close on their cohousing unit, they
just quitclaim the unit back to the development corporation.  we also made
it clear that if this happens the buyer will not be considered in default in
any way and there will be no credit repercussions.  There are some other
nuances, but these are the main things.

Under Wisconsin law the land contract seller retains legal title and the
buyer has equitable title during the land contract period.  This was
important to us because we wanted the people who moved into the community
under land contracts to be able to elect board members and have other rights
of owners.

you're right that it is much like a seller-financed mortgage.  the documents
are much simpler, and people in Wisconsin are familiar with land contracts,
so we went that way.

It is working well so far.  All buyers who hadn't sold their homes signed up
for the land contract program.  We started with 8, and 3 of them now have
contracts to sell their houses.  5 more to go -- including me.

Janet Kelly
Arboretum Cohousing
janetkelly28 [at] gmail.com