Re: participating in community
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:21:59 -0800 (PST)
Our community is 4 1/2 years old. We have a formal program with 8 hours of
participation per
adult requested. Households self report their participation monthly. Those who
don't participate
are assessed $32 per month, with less than 8 hour participation receiving
partial credit.
Participation includes cooking and meal cleanup, any actual committee work or
on workdays, and
attending meetings, although credit for meetings is limited.

About 75% of the community participates fully, and another 10% participates
occasionally. Some
contribute substantially more than the "quota." In general, more participation
would be very
welcome, but we tend to get most things done. Some tasks are hired out when
volunteers can't be
found, and those that don't participate contribute through the extra assessment
they pay.  There
has been, and continues to be, a great deal of discussion on ways to improve
the program.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons

Dear Cohousers-

We're a 15-year old co-housing and have run into a problem with
getting everything done around here that needs to get done- from admin
chores to physical labor.

We have vacant homes (owners having difficulty selling but have
already moved) and people living here and not participating fully
(they'll cook but not do a chore, for example.)

Our system is: (each adult) 4 hours per month for chores, cook once a
quarter, be on a cluster (aka committee), attend general meetings.

Can you share:
1. How many hours per month residents work
2. What  is expected
2. What you do if someone doesn't participate

Thank you,

Jennifer
Southside Park Cohousing