Re: involvement of newcomers vs. long-term community members
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:20:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 11, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Craig Ragland wrote:

(2) newcomers who rapidly immerse in the community's culture...

This has on the whole been our experience. In fact as I posted a few months ago, when new people moved in I felt that community had suddenly grown in size. The new people were so much more involved that those who moved out.

It may be a function of the age of the community -- that we had people chomping at the bit to move in -- but I don't think so. In some cases, yes, but not the majority.

We do an orientation and we have been fortunate that the people who moved out did also tell buyers what they were getting into. Our units are usually in high demand as well so sellers have a choice to whom they sell.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC