involvement of newcomers vs. long-term community members
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
As I've listened, I've heard two basic stories around this...

(1) newcomers who do not jump in and don't seem to embrace what their
(established) community has to offer

- and-

(2) newcomers who rapidly immerse in the community's culture...

One thing I've come to believe is that cohousing neighbors in the first
group (the less involved) are still much better neighbors than most
Americans will ever experience in conventional suburbs or in multi-family
housing... (your mileage my vary)

I used to worry about folks in my community that didn't show up for this or
that event or project or who stopped participating in common meals - as I
personally value high community involvement. Over the last few years, I've
mellowed and have come to believe its helpful for everyone if I just relax
about it. Appreciating who they are as great neighbors seems healthier all
around than agonizing over why somebody doesn't show up as much. Of course
this appreciation may take longer as we spend less time together. It also
means we have more news to share when we do get together.

Craig (Songaia resident since 1992)