Special food needs [was Question about common meals]
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
> What do any of you do when community members have special food needs?
...> And means also that I could not share cooking or clean up
> duties because of the potential contamination

We have had individuals in our community who are unable to cook because of
specific disabilities (e.g. stroke). Those people are absolved from the
requirement to take a turn cooking. We have one person in our community who
has a very restricted diet due to a specific health issue. He frequently
brings his own food to community dinners so that he still has the group
interaction. When he cooks a common meal, he cooks food that he can eat.
However, he is not so sensitive that he cannot be in a kitchen that handles
certain foods. It seems unlikely that a community would be willing to have a
completely gluten-free kitchen; I would think you could be given
dispensation from cooking/cleanup duties if doing so would make you sick!
Would you be able to at least EAT without illness in the dining room if you
brought your own food?

Member, FrogSong (Cotati, CA)
Co-President, Coho/US
eris [at] erisweaver.info