Re: Getting the word out about mini-cohousing
From: Alex Kent (alex.m.kentcomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:55:55 -0700 (PDT)
All excellent advice, Diana!

Thank you very much!

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Diana Leafe Christian [mailto:diana [at] ic.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:37 AM
To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
Subject: [C-L]_ Getting the word out about mini-cohousing

Alex wrote:
> But I'm still unsure of the best way to get the word out.  Pioneer
> Valley
> Cohousing started with one of the founding member's placing an ad in
> the
> local papers in 1989.  We'll continue to put up flyers.  Any other
> ideas?

I agree with Sharon's advice about flyers, flyers, flyers; and for
sure flyers in Unitarian Churches and food co-ops; inviting feature
articles in small neighborhood weeklies;  and not wasting money on
paid ads in newspapers.

I would also suggest flyers in as many places as you can get them on
the local college campuses where _faculty_ will see them; putting
notices on Craig's List, Idealist, and if you're on Facebook, with a
note to all your friends on Facebook, and/or a series of notices
saying something like: "Looking for like-minded households to join us
in a four-household 'mini-cohousing' venture" or " . . . for a shared
group household venture."   And emailing every friend you have all
over the country and asking them to pass the word on to any people
they know in the local area who may be seeking a unique shared housing
opportunity. And . . . letting the people who answer email
correspondence at Pioneer Valley, Pine Street, Rocky Hill, and
Pathways Cohousing know what you'll be doing, so they can share your
project with people who inquire to them but are looking for something
more affordable than may be available at their places.

Last, but not least, to create a website with photos and more
information about you and your family and what you'd like to do, so
that these flyers, feature stories, and email messages have a place to
send people with more information.

Bon Voyage!
Diana
Diana Leafe Christian