Re: Spending reserve funds
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jim.snyder.grantgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
At New View (Acton MA), reserve spending happens in phases:

We keep the results of our reserve study in a spreadsheet. The budget
committee modifies it each year & it gets approved as part of the
regular annual budget process.

There are only a few committees that are responsible for spending
reserve money (landscape, maintenance, common house). A committee that
wants to spend their money goes to the trustees (aka the steering
committee) to get approval for spending. Steering decides if this is a
routine matter that can be approved by steering alone, or if a wider
process is called for. One exception; spending less than $1,000 on an
item that is already called out in teh reserve spreadsheet as
happening in the current year, can be done without steering approval.

Two members of the finance committee are the signers on the reserve
checks, and so they have the last bit of responsibility in making sure
the process is followed.

This process is NOT spelled out in our condo docs, which, as is
typical, gives a LOT of power to the trustees. We evolved this process
at a couple of group meetings after stumbling through for a while.

-Jim

Jim Snyder-Grant
18 Half Moon Hill
Acton MA 01720