Re: Outcomes and Fair Housing Laws and RANT warning...
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 05:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
A quick look at the history of discrimination in housing shows that one popular strategy was to describe the neighborhood, thus providing an easy way for people to determine who was welcome.

So, "white neighborhood" and "jewish neighborhood" were common in advertising.

Later people became more circumspect and ads showed only pictures, or described only facilities, of interest to the people they were trying to reach.

I worked with the ads for a builder just a short time ago who refused to place ads in the paper when asked to include pictures of people of color in their rotation with pictures of people who are white.

MANY developments (of all sorts) use language about their older neighborhoods to discourage families with children from joining... or to discourage "too many" families with children.

So I am quite pleased that we are beginning to work toward having cohousing ads demonstrate that we are serious about overcoming the past discrimination in housing developments. Its a value most of us state in our vision, and its good to show it visibly in our advertising as well.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
Worcester Fellowship