Re: Pet Policy - Can you share yours?
From: Joanie Connors (jvcphdgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
I am a total cat nut, and have volunteered for cat and animal causes
for many years.

It is nuts to let cats be outdoors! Besides killing large numbers of
birds and reptiles, it is bad for the cats! There are lots of hostile
predators and sick humans who will harm them. The statistics I've seen
indicate that outdoor cats have half the lifespan of indoor cats,
while unneutered outdoor males have an average life of 4 years. Add to
this the complaints of neighbors who don't like cats using their
gardens for their catbox (an acquaintance has had the police called
many times)!

There is no reason to allow outdoor cats in your bylaws, to not
prohibit this is to condone negligence and breaking the law (in many
towns).

The problem comes in enforcing it because you can't stop people from
letting them out. But Sharon is right, put it in writing!