Re: affordable cohousing
From: Cindy T (cindy_t25hotmail.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:59:20 -0800 (PST)
Sometimes it seems to me that co-housing is often just another form of gated
community. In addition to cost, which prevents non-homogeneous people from
buying into regular gated communities, co-housing has the vetting process.
Many communities seem to lack any commitment to diversity, and may even violate
anti-discrimination laws though I'm sure the legal advisors have figured out
how to do that legally.

Do we need another list, or maybe multiple lists, for people with lower
incomes, for disabled people, for minorities, or for people from Africa or
China, to create a bunch of little ghettos?  Or do we need more  communities
that commit to the richness of diversity and learn to work out complex issues
cooperatively?  It seems like the latter are sorely needed in the world today.

Cindy T

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/