Re: Affordable Cohousing
From: Jerome Garciano (jlgebox-04yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 06:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
Assuming residents need to work in order to have income to pay the
mortgage/rent, affordability also needs to consider the average income
potential of the area for a family or individual (typically termed the "area
median income").  Affordability would be measured then based on a
reasonable share of a family's income (typically 25-35%) used to pay the
mortgage/rent.  So lower construction costs, like those described below,
will achieve lower mortgage/rent amounts, allowing families at a lower
income to pay a reasonable share of their income for housing.  The lower
operating/living costs, also described below, would affect the percentage of
income paid that one would consider to be affordable, and probably also
reflects the area median income.