Re: affordable cohousing
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
The 2nd Neighborhood at EcoVillage at Ithaca NY was heavily customized and built with permits as well although not strictly a lot development model. It is a coop legal model built with a construction management method rather then contracts which allowed for customization and owner-built homes - we have 2 strawbale houses for instance). Allowing appropriate owner participation can be a great affordability strategy. People were allowed to build their "dream home" or customize starter designs which I had generated as long as they fit within mutually agreed on parameters, especially size, green materials and tech.

The First nbhd (FRoG) was built with the conventional method (pick from 4 models - don't make changes or it will cost ya ) which provides a good comparison of methods. While some people spent significantly more then they intended (mostly due to "feature creep" - discipline is a prerogative if affordability is the _primary_ goal), everyone got good value for their money according to the bank appraiser. Comparing to FRoG: the most expensive house is in SoNG and the least expensive, the largest house and the smallest. Cost per sf: equal to or better then FRoG for 80% of the homes. The appraiser said that while he categorized the overall state of houses in FRoG as "satisfactory" he appraised those in SoNG as "good" - with "excellent" being generally reserved for big estate homes. I prefer to just say that the neighborhoods are very different not superior or inferior which is the case. We were also able to get a HUD grant for 5 lucky households of ~18k to help with downpayments.

I recommend the method to other groups for which I have consulted as it still allows the "call-me-when-it's-done" contract method for an individual or a cluster of homes but gives freedom to those who desire it, broadening the market base. We were having difficulty getting going on the 2nd nbhd until I suggested letting people have much more control of what got built. Several people from the first nbhd switched to the 2nd when the option became available. Another coho group, which I designed for, was able to build a 1240sf home for 150k total, including common costs, using this method even though they did no "sweat equity". Much more could be said but I agree with Rob S. that, while it may not be for every group, it is a method that should be considered.

Rod Lambert
Whole Community Design
EcoVillage at Ithaca. NY