Re: affordable cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Grace Kim wrote:

And I encourage others to share similarly.  Also I'd encourage
everyone to complete the survey even if you didn't end up with
affordable units in the end.

I couldn't figure out what to say. "Affordable" has many definitions. We built market rate condos and DC had a $5,000 tax credit for first time home buyers. There was also a bond program that paid down- payments or guaranteed mortgages at a lower than going rate if people qualified. That could have lowered the price of a home maybe $10,000 but the real benefit was no down-payment which not everyone has sitting around.

In some places affordable is 80% of the average price of homes in the area. So if there are high priced homes next door, a pretty expensive home would still be classified as affordable. It's a moving target.

Perhaps you meant "subsidized"?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines