Non-developer building?
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
At EcoVillage at Ithaca, the Second Neighborhood (SoNG) was built with a construction management method. I designed most of the homes which, while had a lot of things in common, were largely custom designed and built and the costs were very competative. A lot of the subtrades gave fixed prices so that many of the costs were known before starting. It would take a lot of "ink" to describe the whole method but I was, on the whole, very satisfied with it and have introduced its use to a second ecovillage (White Hawk) south of here. A 1240 sf house there came in at 150k including 40k common cost. Because its approach is so flexible, allowing everything from "turnkey" construction to owner built homes it can provide a solid path to affordability if the owner is disciplined about the budget and "feature creep".

Rod