Development Manager Evaluation & Contracts
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:26:18 -0700 (PDT)

Diana, et al.:

I suggest you try to contact members at Hundredfold Farm, Ortanna, PA. about
their challenges with a development manager as a venture partner in a cohousing
project to get an outline of all the things that can be promised and not
delivered by an inexperienced or incapable manager.

Inevitably, Murphy's law does prevail, everything can go wrong, including
things that are beyond either party's control, and even daily verbal assurances
will never be supportable in court in the event that you have to seek
resolution of differences through litigation.

I just completed the development and construction management of a school and
the negotiation of the AIA contract amendments with the design-builder took
longer than the design period, but in the long run, they served us well in
determining in the light of differing opinion exactly who was liable for errors
in construction, demolition, and replacements.

Cheers & Best Wishes,

Tom Lofft
Development Manager at
Liberty Village. MD