Re: right of first refusal
From: Mabel Liang (mabeltwomeeps.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
Here at Cornerstone Village Cohousing, Cambridge, MA http://www.cscoho.org
, some folks have recently refinanced without any trouble.  And we do have
a right of first refusal in our documents.

Our Master Deed includes language (see below) which means that the right
of first refusal does not apply in the case of a foreclosure, etc.  I
don't know if that makes banks more comfortable.  The entire Master Deed
is at our web site, for anyone who wants to peruse it.

In addition, we have language which says "1.    the right to purchase is
exercisable only as a means of insuring owner-occupancy of the Unit that
is being sold, or for some other valid purpose that serves the best
interest of the Association and its members;" plus "Moreover, such right
shall not be exercised so as to restrict alienation, conveyance, sale,
leasing, purchase, ownership or occupancy of units because of race, creed,
color, national origin, sex, age or sexual preference."

Also, we have the right to assign our right to purchase, so in practice we
would most likely have someone on our waiting list purchase the unit as
opposed to the Association doing so.

My interpretation of our current policy does not allow a bidding war once
the owner has agreed on a price and conditions.  There are those who
either disagree or think it should be changed, saying that that's not how
real estate deals work.  I include our current policy below, as well.

---------------
>From the Master Deed:

The Association will not have this right of first refusal with respect to
any lease, sale or transfer of a Unit in connection with a mortgage
foreclosure (or the acceptance of a deed in lieu of the foreclosure) or
with respect to any sale or transfer by the mortgage holder or other party
who acquired the Unit in connection with the foreclosure or deed-in-lieu.
Such right of first refusal shall not impair the rights of a First
Mortgagee to:

                        (i)     foreclose or take title to a Unit pursuant to
the remedies provided
in its mortgage; or

                        (ii)    accept a deed (or assignment) in lieu of
fore­closure in the event
of default by a mortgagor; or

                        (iii)   sell or lease a Unit so acquired by the First
Mortgagee;

-- Mabel :-)

Mabel Liang
mabel [at] twomeeps.com