Re: Associate Membership
From: drmaryanngroups (drmaryanngroupsmac.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:58:15 -0800 (PST)
I live at Manzanita Village in Prescott Arizona. Our associate members are
called Area Villagers. They are folk who live in the area but not on the
property. Currently two households live adjacent to the Village and one lives a
little over a mile away. They pay a membership fee to join the Village and
monthly dues equal to one half of the dues for a homeowner. By law we are an
HOA so each property pays a membership fee when the property is first sold. The
fee slides depending on the number of adults living on the property. Once
membership has been paid on a property it is not assessed to subsequent owners
unless they need to add additional adults, up to a limit of three. Each
property is assessed monthly dues that forms the basis of our annual budget.
Dues on rental properties are paid by the owner.

Everyone living on the property, all homeowners and all area villagers are
members of the Village and can participate in the decision-making of the
Village. We use a pretty strict version of consensus that allows everyone a
voice in decisions. The only exceptions are certain decisions that according to
state law must be made by the homeowners. These include changes in dues above a
certain percentage, special assessments, election of the (titulary) HOA Board,
revising the CC&R. These require a majority vote of the homeowners but happen
rarely.

We only have three Area Villages households (5 members) and currently have
close that category to new members. Although we could agree to re-open it in
the future.

Mary Ann