Associate Membership
From: David Entin (davidentincomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:18:10 -0800 (PST)
I am chair of the Membership Committee at Rocky Hill Cohousing.  We would like
to know how other communities handle Associate Members.  We are particularly
interested in individuals or families who live outside the cohousing community
but would like to participate in it's life, and possibly decision making.  Do
you charge a fee, do they come to regular meetings, are they voted in by the
group, do you have an application process, or recruitment strategy, benefits
for both parties, etc.

In addition to these questions, we would like to know how you deal with
resident Associate Members. We have several renters and also five households
who are Associate Members by the fact that they live on the road coming up to
our community.  These five households do pay a monthly fee for the use of our
Common House, and most of them and the renters participate as much as our
regular members.  However we have no clear-cut rule for their participation in
our voting process.

Any information of the above subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Dorothy Riehm,
Rocky Hill Cohousing
Northampton, MA