Call for Articles: Communities #152: Right Livelihood
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:13:01 -0800 (PST)
Communities Editor <editor [at] ic.org>

Hello,

/Communities/ magazine is now seeking articles for issue #152, ?*Right
Livelihood*.? The issue will be out in September 2011.

Please send your article idea to _editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at]
ic.org>_
by *Friday, March 25, 2010*, or sooner if possible.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, May 19, 2011*.

1. Theme articles: /*Right Livelihood*/

    / possible questions to address (feel free to pick and choose or
    innovate):/

    * What is ?right livelihood?? How do you enact it in your own life?
      Do you see your efforts within a larger historical or
      philosophical context?
    * What is the connection between local, human-scale economics,
      connections with neighbors, and right livelihood?
    * Has community helped you to pursue right livelihood?
    * How does your community encourage sustainable, responsible forms
      of economic self-support?
    * How do you encourage efforts at right livelihood in your local
      neighborhood or bioregion?
    * What have you done to introduce, teach about, or model right
      livelihood with children and in schools?
    * Does your community have a collective approach to right livelihood?
    * Has your group tried income-sharing as a means to achieving right
      livelihood? If so, what were its benefits and drawbacks?
    * Can a commitment to right livelihood help address larger-scale
      social, economic, and ecological issues?
    * In choices about work and economics, how do you balance "ethics"
      and "pragmatism"?
    * Does your neighborhood, ecovillage, cohousing project, or other
      community consciously attempt to develop and model a system that
      will encourage right livelihood? If fully realized, what would it
      look like?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences,
and concrete examples in your answers--these are what will make your
ideas and observations most ?real? and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this
theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

    * Creating community in your neighborhood;
    * Starting a new community;
    * Process and communication issues in community; and
    * Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite
submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed
articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and
article leads. We?re seeking articles written in a reader-friendly,
popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask
contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write
about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations
that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start
writing, please check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact
us for our full Writers? Guidelines--and let us know your article idea
so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.
Contact Chris Roth at _editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>_.

If you don?t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please
check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or contact Yulia Zarubina
at _layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org>_ for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What *?*Submitting an Article*? *Means.* We will promise to read
your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or
save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to
edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact
authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.* Please send the article only
when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow
community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on
community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful
and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or
strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it,
please share your draft with group members to get their input before
sending it to us. (Please see our Writers? Guidelines for additional
details.)

*III. Publication Rights.* Once your article appears in /Communities/,
we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article
appears in /Communities/ the first time it appears in North America. In
addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on
our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to
it. If you?d like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate
your using an attribution line saying, ?This article first appeared in
/Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date);
for further information on /Communities/:
http://communities.ic.org  or http://www.ic.org/.

*IV. Photos.* If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with
compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject
best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community
or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to
go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot
supply photos, that?s fine; however, please give us plenty of advance
notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please
check http://communities.ic.org/submit.php or email us for our full
Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your
short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
_editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>_

--
Chris Roth
Editor, Communities

for Communities advertising,