"Cohousing Overlay" as Zoning Regulation
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:40:13 -0800 (PST)
I want to learn what kinds of
provisions the readership would like to see in a "cohousing zoning
overlay."  Suncoast Elder Cohousing Community is working with the Sarasota
County Planning Department to
 define a "cohousing overlay" to permit the unique, architectural, spacial, and
construction aspects of cohousing which might ordinarily run afoul of current
regulations.  These would be specific to cohousing developments and
would not effect any other current regulations.

The only topics
 which we're currently promoting is 1) for density to be increased with
the use of cottages 600 ft2 or less (counting as 1/2 of a dwelling unit)
 and cottages between 600 ft2 and 800 ft2 (counting as 3/4 of a dwelling
 unit) and 2) eliminating the restriction on clustered housing that
mandates that all homes lined up on any side be similar in design.
We're all for variety; have five, basic models; and don't want to be told what
house goes where.  We planning only 24 cottages and a common house on five
acres.

What other issues would you like to see included in a "cohousing zoning
overlay?"  We'd very much appreciate your input.

Thank you,

Van Deist, Organizer
Suncoast Elder Cohousing Community
Sarasota, FL