Re: consensus process (was Great Moments)
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011
From: R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>

... Cornerstone continues to struggle with unclarities structured into
the process and its definitions.  Two examples ...

(1) The informal definition of sidethumb most commonly used here something
like "I'm not completely happy, but I can live with this....
(2) We thumb by household, and quorum for a determination (the minimum
number of participating thumbs) is 22 out of 32.   Up and sides count
together, and approving anything takes at least 12 ups, plus another 10
sides (and no downs).

I highly recommend the process we've used at RoseWind (Port Townsend WA) for many years: CT Butler's "On Conflict and Consensus", available free on line at www.ic.org/pnp/ocac. I never quite understood why Butler and Rothstein call their method "Formal Consensus", but compared to "informal definitions", it's very structured. By the time one has diligently gone through Level One, Level Two, and Level Three, there should be plenty of clarity about any concerns people have, and why. Standing Aside is a choice, but by the time a proposal has been adequately processed to merit a call for consensus, there are rarely more than a couple stand asides. If we had a situation like you reference, with 12 approving and 10 standing aside, I think our facilitators would find that to be such a lukewarm consensus that it would go back to committee.

On doing it "by household", I don't see how this aligns with the basic idea of consensus. The Quakers say "Everyone has a piece of the truth", and it's rare for spouses to think and feel alike. We treat each person as an individual. As a one-person household, I have the same value of input as each member of a couple. This isn't a vote.

Another recent thread dealt with proxies. Since consensus process is not a vote, how can this work? It is more common than not, that members shift their opinions in the course of the process of hearing from others and examining in more detail the underlying goals and concerns and possible creative win-win solutions. If we all just sent in our "vote" ahead of time, why even bother with the process?

No method is perfect: more than 20 years in, we are still learning. And the Butler book has been a highly useful guide. I recommend it.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org