Re: Group Think
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 08:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
On 3 Jul 2011, at 8:59 AM, Joanie Connors wrote:

> There are many ways that these forces are playing a big part in our
> society right now - groupthink (lack of creative thinking, fear of
> change), intolerance of dissent, scapegoating of dissenters and
> ingroup vs outgroup thinking.

And we too often think that in cohousing we are "above" this. Any group is
going to display the group dynamics common to groups. Sometimes I think
residential groups are even more prone to group think because harmony is a
higher expectation or desire for being "at home." Harmonious is how home is
supposed to be. Even if our own home was not harmonious, we created this one so
it would be perfect.

The reason that Gerard Endenburg was determined to make consensus
decision-making work in his business as it worked in Quaker meetings and had
worked in his boarding school was that he wanted the same harmonious
environment. Welcoming objections so they can be addressed is key to
establishing and maintaining harmony.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines