Smart Meters in community
From: ehrbar (ehrbargreenhouse.economics.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 06:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
Valerie, who is opposed to the smart grid because of the
microwave radiation from the wireless data transmissions,
writes:

> Should we exchange a fossil-fueled world for a radiated
> one? Is this progress?

Valerie, you meant this as a rhetorical question, but I'd
like to answer you anyway: This would be immense progress.
Don't get me wrong.  I don't like our radiated world either.
I don't own a cell phone.  But the fossil-fueled world is
millions of times worse than a world bathed in cell phone
and wireless radiation.  A fossil-fueled world means not
just a higher incidence of brain tumors but it means that
most our children and grandchildren will be dead by the end
of the century, and the rest of them will lead short and
brutish lives, fighting storms, famines, diseases, and each
other, in a hostile world to which humans and many other life
forms on which we depend are no longer adapted.

Mouse and elephant are walking over a wooden bridge.  Mouse
says to the elephant: "listen how much noise we are making."
The "noise" from wireless transmissions is much much smaller
than the "noise" from fossil fuel combustion.

> Smart Grid profits flow into the same pockets as Big Oil
> profits.

The enemies of the Smart Grid are primarily the Electric
Utilities and Big Coal and Nuclear interests.  They want to
make profits the old way, as vertically integrated energy
supply monopolies.  Even the Appliance companies are up in
arms against smart appliances because this affects the
consumer's experience when they use their appliances.  I
couldn't believe my ears when I heard this.  Sure, they
could be making profits with the smart grid too, but this
would require a new business model, new technologies, new
everything for them.  They don't want to give up the steady
income guaranteed by regulation which they enjoy now.  It
makes me want to vomit witnessing that they prefer to
sacrifice our (and their own) grandchildrens' lives rather
than adapt their business model to the new realities.  In my
book they are criminal organizations.

Hans

Wasatch Commons in Salt Lake City, Utah, where an organic
farmer faming 1 acre of adjacent land just joined the
community, and we are no longer so nice but starting to get
mean with the freeriders in our midst.