Re: Affordable Housing in Your Community - taking on risk
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
Offering below-market housing to low-income people amounts to pretending
that there is just as little risk in doing this as there is for
middle-income people.  If creative financing is resorted to, somebody has to
take on the higher risk of dealing with people whose reliability in making
payments may not be proven.

In our community, residents who have arranged for affordability programs
have been arrears in their payments more than once since they moved in.  In
the meantime, extra effort has had to be expended by our finance team to
repeatedly contact these people to get them to pay their bills.  This is
time devoted to bill collecting that could have been devoted to more
constructive things.

My point is that people with money present a lower risk than those on more
shaky financial grounds.  Somebody has to take on this risk, and that may
amount to making the recipient of low-income less responsible for his/her
financial obligations.

Norm Gauss