developmental stages of cohousing
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 07:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
What a great topic! Thanks Rebecca.
I have been observing something similar as well here at EcoVillage at Ithaca.
I would add two other thoughts to the discussion:

1. There is a distinct process whereby some people withdraw from the community over time. I am beginning to believe that if the community is able to proactively interrupt this process it could significantly affect the participation rate. We are looking at this now in the second nbhd - SoNG, so I don't have any fail proof process suggestions yet.

2. If it is a problem to be solved, there are three areas to explore as I see it: (a) that's human dynamics, live with it; (b) there's something "off" with the batch of people in your community, maybe it will be 'better' when some of them leave??? (c) leadership is lacking or turning people off in some way. Not sure whether the first 2 suggest any action steps but I have also noticed the tendency for leadership to become more and more consolidated with the same faces showing up at committee meetings. I'm not sure that the "same faced" committees should assume that this always means that others don't care or that apathy is the same as consent. I suspect that leadership consolidation should be actively resisted. (I was interested in the previous discussion on "group think") Here we rotate the meeting organizing/facilitation task for instance - I hope that others on this list serve will make other suggestions.

Rod Lambert
EcoVillage at Ithaca, NY