Re: developmental stages of cohousing
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
My community is still relatively new, but I see some of that dichotomy here.
Some people have a drive to improve and change, some are happy to find a
comfortable place and stay there. I lean toward the constant improvement end of
things, but I can see that life as a "liver" is far more relaxed.  Most people
have the capacity to operate at  either end of the spectrum.  We've all known
the activist who gets married/ has kids/gets a "real" job and all of a sudden
is dong the 9 to 5 grind like they were born to it, or the complacent "liver"
who runs across a cause that really touches their soul and is working night and
day to change the world. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the next
5-10 years another round of "burning soul" energy arises at Pioneer Valley in
response to new people moving in or some crisis or major event.  I know a few
people in the cohousing movement who seem to move once the community is really
settled, going on to help
 build a new community, or to find one that fits their ideals and lifestyle
better.  You might find a place for that energy and drive in improving the
larger community around you. I hope you find that community of "workers" you
are looking for.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA