Kids in community
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
While raising kids in community is not always a bed of roses, I am grateful to
have the opportunity to raise my kids in our particular "village."  I can leave
my one year old at the common dinner table to grab a napkin or a second
helping, knowing that she will be so busy flirting with her favorite neighbors
that she will barely register my absence. If our babysitting arrangements
collapse at the last minute, as they too often do,  one of our neighbors
usually comes through for us. My 6 year old son, now in a particularly defiant
stage of asserting his autonomy from adult expectations, recently told me that
he wasn't sure what the other communities( read committees) did, but he was
glad he joined the garden community(committee) because everyone needs to work
on a community(committee) and he liked gardening the best. At New Brighton kids
are encouraged to participate in community work, but are by no means required
to participate.     He looks forward
 to community work parties, and likes to help "straw boss" by passing messages
and fetching tools. How wonderful that he has the
chance to participate in his community, and that he has absorbed the
idea of working together in community at this young age. Now if he only felt
that way about chores at home...  Last week, having exasperated both of his
parents with loud refusals to get dressed take his dishes to the sink/ put his
toys away and on the verge of being on the receiving end of some unduly loud
and uncomplimentary parental remarks, he saw the imminent fireworks and went to
a neighbor's house for a break. He finagled an invitation to go to a rummage
sale with them.  An hour an a half later we were all in a much better mood and
able to take care of our respective household responsibilities quickly and
cheerfully.

Having 20+ neighborly witnesses to your parenting is not for the faint of
heart, but I personally would not trade it for the world.

Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA