Re: Coop financing more attractive now?
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (caseyjacketsgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:52:08 -0700 (PDT)
When we developed our cohousing community, we were considering making
it a coop. However our banker advised us that in order to convince his
Board to approve our construction loan, we should make it a
condominium because the bank had made lots of condo loans but had no
experience with coops and therefore would be highly unlikely to
finance one. Even though we took his advice, the bank was still
uncomfortable about us because they had no experience with cohousing.

He also advised that we not use the term "cohousing" in our legal
papers for the same reason. It was only that our local banker knew us
personally that he was able to convince the bank to approve our loan.
So it would be wise to talk to your bank before you decide which route
to take.

Kay Wilson
Meadow Wood (Cohousing)
www.mwcondo.com