Re: Looking for examples of at-home business policies
From: David Clements and Evan Richardson (evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 04:54:01 -0800 (PST)

Karen,
Our Declaration (www.westwoodcohousing.com) allows use of property as allowed
by the city of Asheville, NC.  The city regulations are more restrictive than
ours might be.  Basically "retail establishments" (those with more than 8
customers per day coming and going) are not allowed in residential
neighborhoods.
For example, we have had a bed and breakfast business, which is not legal in
the city in houses of less than 2500 sf.
Also, we have had a member doing massage, which in the city can only be done in
a handicapped-accessible building (our development is not handicapped
accessible, and has no parking for the public).  Also the city follows standard
code requirements for medical offices, which our houses cannot meet without
expensive renovations.
Also, we have a member with a handyman business, which is not legal in the city
unless the business vehicle (a van) is parked in a closed garage.  In our case,
we have no garages, so  the van can not legally be parked on our property.
When I was on the Board, my feeling was that these businesses, though
technically "illegal" under the city statutes, could consider to operate so
long as there was no objection from any member.   If there had been an
objection, I think the Board would have had to negotiate with the parties or
deny the illegal home occupation.  Especially given that any one objecting
could complain to the city for enforcement of the City statute.  .
I think that the Board is currently not paying close attention to which
businesses have the proper permits and which do not.
Here is the Declaration (the main place where we set out our rights and
obligations to each other:

b. That the Lots shall be occupied and used only as private dwellings in
accordance with the provision of this Declaration, the Bylaws and the Rules and
Regulations, and for no other purpose; provided, however, that Developer has
the right at all times to use Lots owned or leased by it as a model or for
demonstration purposes. In addition, the Lots may be used for home occupations
permitted under the Property’s zoning use category, so long as the use is in
compliance with the Rules and Regulations.

Here is the section from Rules and Regulations.  We have a "studio," and once
had plans for additional "studios" where people could work:

Section 6. Work and Hobby Activities: Since Westwood encourages a mix of living
and work spaces, provided the work is compatible with the environment residents
seek here, consideration shall be given to what types of work are appropriate.
The relevant factors include: noise, outside clutter, traffic, parking, odors,
lights, dust, environmentally caustic material, hours of activity, fire
hazards, wear and tear on building improvements, the effect upon market value
of property, and any other kinds of impact on the community (both Westwood and
the larger neighborhood). Since some types of work use only need to be separate
from housing in the studio zone (as shown on the Development site plans), while
others will not be appropriate anywhere in Westwood, no blanket rule covers all
situations; each must be decided on a case-by-case basis.

David Clements

Message: 1