Re: Annual budget increases & capital improvements
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:06:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi Peter,
Here at Nyland, our financial folks (FINBOD) have done a great job with the
budget process.  I can put you in touch with one of them.  The CI question
interests me and I hope other people will reply.  Our community is 20 years old
and puts money every year into a Cap Imp fund.  In the early days, I am told,
there were so many cool projects that people wanted to do that early in each
year, people were asked to come up with ideas and the community would decide
early in the year which ones to focus on.  That system fell by the wayside, and
now we have a lot of money and a rather unclear and challenging process to tap
into it.  And because of that, people who would like to bring an idea forward
are often hesitant to do so because it is so hard to pass a proposal that uses
Cap Imp money.  One can end up putting a lot of time and energy into something
only to have it blocked all too easily IMO by a very small minority.  Attempts
have been made to streamline the process, but in the end it comes down to
having a really good decision-making process that allows projects to move
forward without 100% consensus.  So we continue to put about $3000 per year for
our annual budget into this account and my hope is that someday we will be able
to move forward on some really cool projects.  My advice would be, if and when
you set up a Cap Imp fund, have a really clear and simple process in place
first to determine who to use that money to fund proposals.
- Holly