Re: Annual budget increases & capital improvements
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:23:34 -0800 (PST)
Sharon Villines wrote:

> This week it was $3,000 for a new UPS (Uninterrupted-Power Supply)
> unit for our emergency lighting. The lighting was included for
> about $1,000 but not the battery and actual UPS.

Sharon,

You have a UPS for all the emergency lighting throughout the entire
building? Was it required by DC building code? Or did you install it after
move-in because of the frequency of power outages in the DC area?
Eastern Village doesn't have any sort of backup for emergency lighting.
Must not be in the Montgomery County (MD) building code. It was a real
problem during a multi-day outage several years because the interior
stairways don't have windows.

Before I left EVC, I was talking to Stan (the TVC and EVC reserve
study expert) about a solar-powered battery backup system that would
provide long-term power for a handful of emergency functions --
a few outlets for recharging things and running a fridge, one heat pump
for emergency heat in the CH, emergency lights in the stairs, running a
pump that prevents flooding in heavy rain, etc. Maybe you guys should
consider something like that.

Katie