Re: Annual budget increases & capital improvements
From: David Clements and Evan Richardson (evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:31:03 -0800 (PST)

Re how to make decisions about the budget.  At Westwood Cohousing, we have much
less owner control of the budget and spending than I see referred to in Coho-L
about other communities.  So far as I know we may be unique among cohousing
communities.     Our bylaws say that the Board prepares the budget and the
owners vote on the budget.  For many years we had a consensus-like process for
the budget, but not in regular meetings, and poorly defined overall.  We have
recently been clarifying the process, so that certain parts of the budget are
developed by consensus (Team budgets and new projects mainly) and other numbers
are proposed by the Board (with input and comments from the members at a member
meeting).  The proposed budget is approved by vote of 75% of owners.  It used
to be that we called the final budget approval "consensus," but it wasn't
really, and at times we took a vote ("How many in favor of consensus?").   Our
new process (technically still a "proposed process") is much clearer, but is
not consensus.   I think it suits us OK.
I am imagining that we will have other financial decisions operate by proposal
of the Board and 75% vote of owners.  For example,  we almost always run a
yearly surplus amounting to 10-20%  of the operating budget.  The bylaws say
the board decides whether to put this in the Reserve Fund or in a General
operating reserve or  refund to owners.     For the first years of the
community the surplus was always refunded.   Recently it has been kept in
reserve.  The Board has often made these decisions without  input from members
or a decision of members.  Our finance committee has been looking into ways of
standardizing the process and giving owners part of the authority to make these
decisions, either by a more explicit policy in the bylaws for the Board to
follow (when to refund to owners, for example), or by having these decisions
made by proposal of the Board and vote of owners.
We currently do not have a CI fund.   We had a proposal for one, which was
controversial and not approved because it was linked to one particular way of
funding, namely a transfer fee when houses were sold.   I am aware of other
communities that regularly put  some of any budget surplus in a CI fund.  I
like this idea.  I suspect if were do something like this we might want to have
dispersals from this fund to be by a vote of  the owners, like the other budget
decisions.  I appreciated the comment about  the difficulty of coming to
consensus about spending from a CI fund, with the result that the fund cannot
be effectively used.
There was a recent situation where the Board used money from the General
Operating Reserve for a CI-type project (new construction), without any
decision by owners or discussion in a member meeting.  It seemed to me that the
Board was overstepping its authority, as it is stated explicitly in the bylaws
that Capital expenditures need to be approved by the Board and a majority of
owners (The bylaws assume that a Capital expense will be funded by an
assessment, which was not necessary in this case).   However, in our community
we tend to defer to the Board's authority on such financial matters.  This
points out what can happen if reserves accumulate without a clear plan for how
much to accumulate and under what conditions to use it.
I would be happy to hear from other communities where financial decisions are
made by vote rather than consensus, and from those who have given to their
Board the amount of authority over financial matters that we have given.   One
key question we have asked off and on is "how much authority do we want the
members to have" (as opposed to the Board), and "how can we be clear and
explicit about how things work?"    The Bylaws currently say that the Board has
complete authority over preparing the budget and spending from the budget.  But
I suspect many of us here are assuming that that is not the way things actually
are intended to work here.   We intend members to have more authority.  But how
to define this?  We are still working on it.
David Clements

Message: 1