Re: Acoustics in common house--not always desirable
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:49:19 -0800 (PST)
I don't think any cohousing community has enough money to create a dead space.
Nothing to fear about that!

We had an acoustical study done - machines measuring all sorts of stuff. I sent
those to a company that does theaters and concert halls like Kennedy Center.
They said it would take $35,000 in about 2004 to make the room concert hall
level. So dead would be way above that.

They said we could get away with 10,000 of (less attractive) acoustical panels.
We spent $5,000 and it was a significant help but we need much more — like the
clouds.

FYI: the acoustical advice was to do perpendicular surfaces first rather than
all the walls, etc. We did two perpendicular walls first because no one wanted
to cope with the two story ceiling peppered with tons of light fixtures.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC