Re: Soundproofing between stacked units in cohousing
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:19:09 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, S. Kashdan wrote:

Here at Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, Washington, we have some units
in our common house. Some of those units are located on the floor below our
common areas, and the soundproofing between the common areas and the units
underneath is not that good. The residents can hear people walking, chairs
moving, etc. We also have some units that are connected side-by-side in
other buildings. The soundproofing between them is also not that good. One
neighbor complains about hearing her next-door neighbor's children running
on the stairs inside that neighbor's unit. The stairs inside that neighbor's
unit have rug material on them. But, the sound of the children's feet
pounding comes through the wall. Another neighbor recently told me that she
is sometimes awakened by her next-door neighbor snoring... The sound comes
through the wall.

Having met the builder, I'm not surprised. He was one of those types who specialized in building stuff for sale, not to actually live in. He did teach me some very important words to listen for - "but it meets code". Building codes are the absolute minimum requirements that the various local governments have put in place to protect the consumer. When a builder uses those words, I'm pretty sure something is being hidden.

As far as side by side units, anything less than alternate stud contruction with lots of heavy insulation is going to be noisy.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.