Re: Soundproofing between stacked units in cohousing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:24:04 -0800 (PST)
All right, all right.  I've been staying out of this, but as a practicing
architect, I will now pitch forward some tech info.  Sound management in
residential structures has four components:

    (1) FUZZ:  Especially in large rooms accommodating many people having
diverse conversations, FUZZ counts for a lot.  Carpet, curtains, tablecloths,
upholstered furniture, and sound-absorbent ceiling tiles will all interact to
diminish ambient noise and reverberation, making multiple conversations among
small groups easier to handle.  However, FUZZ will do very little to mitigate
noise transfer between different rooms, floors or dwelling units.  For that,
you need ...
    (2) MASS:  From a sound transmission standpoint, your building should be
built of concrete plank carried by cement block walls.  But you've built as
wood frame (what a surprise!)?  In this case, there are some things you can do
to add mass.  One of the best is about 1.5" of cementitious floor underlay,
like Maxxon GypCrete, which does a dynamite job of dampening floor-to-floor
sound transmission.  Needless to say, this has to be planned for ahead of time,
and is not easily retrofitted once the building is occupied.  Now for your
walls ...
    (3) DE-COUPLING:  Even with wood framing and drywall (inexpensive, but no
mass), there are a variety of systems for mitigating sound transfer between
adjacent  rooms or units.  One of my favorites is: Build a regular wall — wood
studs with drywall on both sides — but then, to just one side of this wall, add
some resilient metal z-track and one more layer of drywall.  This kind of
construction "de-couples" the drum head, and significantly reduces sound
transmission in both directions.  If you forgot the GypCrete, this same system
can be retrofitted with good effect (and with money) to existing ceilings.
    (4)  BREACH PREVENTION:  Tiny cracks, seams, holes, or gaps allow vast
quantities of sound to migrate, and can defeat the most carefully designed
sound management construction.  One common example is convenience receptacles
in the same stud pocket; sound will go into one box and come out the other, no
matter how clever is the wall construction.

Note that I did not advocate strongly for sound batt insulation in the walls,
which will help a little tiny bit, but not nearly as much as my other
recommendations.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5