Re: Accessibility features
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
On 20 Mar 2012, at 8:22 PM, Debby Vajda wrote:

> In terms of making units accessible for
> wheelchairs/walkers/aging-in-place, could you let us know the following:
>
> For existing communities:  What features has your community included?
> What features do you regret not having included?

We have fully accessible units and visitable units. I think Ann posted the
details for us. Two additional points, it is hard to keep units accessible if
you don't use those features regularly. So once you install them, it helps to
remind the community why they are there.

Another point to remember is that everyone needs accessible features. While our
automatic door opener on the front door was installed primarily for those using
wheelchairs, we all benefit from it enormously. Strollers, prams, bicycles,
grocery carts, broken legs, sprained ankles, furniture deliveries, UPS every
day, etc.

Wide doors make many more things possible and are welcoming. Better door
handles are better door handles.

Others have previously reminded us to think in terms of Universal Design which
takes in more features than those that are required by accessibility
regulations. The expense is not that great in most cases.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC