Re: Accessibility features
From: bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
       At Swans Market Cohousing in Oakland we had two wheelchair riders as
part of the original group who were meeting during the design phase, one of
them a disability rights activist so we ended up with an elevator in the common
house, flat thresholds into every unit so everyone can visit everyone else and
no knobs on doors (hard to grip and turn for some) and two wheelchair
accessible bathrooms in the common house one on each floor and the one adjacent
to our guest room also has an accessible shower.  We also have two stove
burners at a lower level making it easier for wheelchair riders to cook in our
very successful meals program and the parking places in our garage nearest the
door are designed for handicapped parking with room to lower the ramp of an
accessible vehicle.  Even though I am among the " temporarily abled" as we like
to say, I love having my home so accessible to all my friends.  And I love
knowing that as I age my neighborhood will remain welcoming and accessible to
me.
                             Bonnie Fergusson
                             Swans Market Cohousing
                             Oakland, CA