Re: Mix of unit size?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:13:43 -0700 (PDT)
You have two related questions here:  One is about the kind of community you
want, and the other is about the market demographics in your region.

Three bedroom units are most likely to attract growing families — if they can
afford them.  One of the real estate rules I've encountered is that cohousing
common house amenities are worth about one bedroom.  That is to say, buying a
two bedroom unit in cohousing is comparable in price to buying a three bedroom
single family nearby.

For the units you build on spec, I would definitely recommend a mix of ones,
twos and threes.  Twos will be more affordable to young families with one
child.  If you have plenty of land and/or a smart architect, you can come up
with designs that easily allow for the addition of one or two bedrooms with
another bath — either by building out, or building up.  These could be very
popular with candidate members who aren't certain about the long-term viability
of living / staying in cohousing.

At Cornerstone — an urban village complex on a very tight site — our 32 units
represent a broad mix beginning with small one bedrooms under 600 sq ft, all
the way up to four bedrooms at near 1,900 sq ft.  A little less than half of
our units (most in townhouse format) are three or four bedrooms.  Median size
is around 1,200 sq ft.  For what it's worth, here are net (condo) floor areas,
in square feet, for all 32 units.

575
577
611
614
625
793
798
812
814
927
1,007
1,074
1,077
1,086
1,148
1,194
1,221
1,221
1,400
1,454
1,548
1,608
1,612
1,638
1,663
1,698
1,700
1,767
1,767
1,767
1,775
1,866

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140
617.354.6094

PS: I think we met at the New Haven Sociocracy conference.