Re: Unit mix/size
From: Christina Smillie (smillieccomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:17:21 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Grace!

You are so right: a marketing study is definitely in order. This is just one very preliminary phase of our research. One question really has to do with how much the potential cohouser conforms to the demographic reached and studied by traditional market research, and how we can focus our own research on those in our local market most likely to consider cohousing. Who will they be, hard to say: We are 15 minutes from a cosmopolitan if small downtown, and are attracting people who might otherwise live in our little city, but this land is in a neighboring rural area, without even its own town center, and many here live on their own little farms. Most of us are in our forming community are from the city and surrounding suburbs, but two families from that rural community are already committed to our community, one with three school-aged kids and no farm, the other are empty nesters with land they will be leaving: enough for herbs, veggies, a few chickens and alpacas. And very happy, for philosophical and sustainability reasons, to downsize dramatically in their living space (to about 500-550 sq ft), while gaining more in agricultural space.

Your idea of possibly sharing households, several people with only bedrooms or perhaps a common kitchen/living room, is very intriguing, a sort of mini-coho within the coho. We have several individuals, both couples and singles, anxious to join us, for whom this could make it much more affordable. Is anyone actually doing this? As renters or as co-owners of a unit, or?

It is also interesting that most of the replies I've received, whether off-list or on, suggest that there is pretty much zero correlation between unit size and number of people in the unit.
tina