Re: Unit mix/size
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
On 25 Mar 2012, at 3:17 PM, Christina Smillie wrote:

> One question really has to do with how much the potential cohouser
> conforms to the demographic reached and studied by traditional market
> research, and how we can focus our own research on those in our local
> market most likely to consider cohousing. Who will they be, hard to say:

That's both the problem and the truth. Even if cohousers did meet the general
demographic, the small number  you need can be totally skewed. In the long run,
I would say, however, that you want to have a mix from tiny to big.

One way to look at it is this — I want to have a wide screen TV in the CH for
people to watch football because they have so much fun doing it. I am extremely
unlikely to ever watch it. The same for the hot tub. It sells units and the
people who like it really like it so I want it to be here.

You want a mix of units for the same reason. You want to live with people of
all kinds. And have room for people of all kinds, and won't ever be able to
accommodate everyone at all times. The best you can do is help them build
another community.

That said, one strategy is to design in modules so you can change the plans up
to the last  minute. Do not have architectural drawings made until you have
almost all the units spoken for. At Takoma Village there were plans for a
series of stacked two storey units but people (like myself) didn't want a unit
on two floors.

When the group heard 2-3 others say the same thing, they switched out some of
the duplexes and created flats. So the longer you stay fluid the more you can
accommodate the market. The balance is being as clear as possible about quality
of finishes, basic structure and design, etc., because people need to see that
before they will make commitments.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Reality is something you rise above." Liza Minnelli