AED for common house
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:51:15 -0800 (PST)
Do any other groups have a heart defibrillator? We are hoping to get one here at RoseWind (Port Townsend WA).

Designed for use by the un-/or minimally-trained, the lunchbox-size gizmo speaks aloud to you with instructions for dealing with sudden cardiac arrest. Even with EMTs not far off, the extra minutes of blood to the brain can save lives. It won't shock a beating heart (lest the kids decide to play TV medic..) and state law protects Good Samaritan situations, if the person dies anyway. Local fire department has grant- funded free training for AED owners.

AEDs are increasingly common, found in libraries, aquatic centers, airports, schools, etc. We have many community events at our common house, as well as use by our members, including seniors.

Cost? We're looking at MedTronic/Physiotronic LifePak Express. List $1300, plus tax, plus wall case, about $1700. The least expensive one is a couple hundred less. Needs new battery pack every couple years @ $100.

Have other groups gotten an AED? Any helpful thoughts or insights?

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org
where it's still mild enough to go out in just a sweater