Re: Is Cohousing Cheap(er)?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:25:50 -0800 (PST)
OK, to refine the question:  Will you and your family live more cheaply in a
development organized as cohousing, than you would in a similar housing unit in
the same neighborhood, but not organized as cohousing?  My answer remains: You
will live different, maybe even better, but don't expect cheaper.

RPD

I'll make one significant concession:  AAA reports the averaged annual cost of
owning and operating a passenger vehicle is now in the $9K to  $11K range.  If
cohousing maintains a shared vehicle or two, and access to that vehicle allows
your family to drop from 3 cars to 2, or 2 cars to 1 -- or even 1 car to none
-- now you're saving interesting money.  What I've seen so far in cohousing is
that the legal and political hurdles are often high for a communally owned car
-- but coho-ers are more likely than regular folk to find ways of privately
sharing a vehicle and its costs among two or three households.

But you still can't share your healthcare or your daughter's four years at
college.

Sent from my iPad