Re: Making Cohousing Permanently Affordable
From: rpdowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:48:50 -0800 (PST)
I think programs are different in differing jurisdictions, but in Cambridge,
MA, here are the essential features of limited equity homeownership affordable
housing (cohousing or not).

    • Municipal zoning requires that all multi-family developments over a
certain size offer to the City a specific proportion of "affordable units" — in
return for which you get a density bonus or upgrade = more units on the land.
At Cornerstone Cohousing, this worked out to 32 units on about 1.5 acres,
inclusive of four "affordable" limited equity ownership condominiums.
Cornerstone, in fact, was the first multi-family complex in the City to find
itself directed by this new zoning regime. We were pioneers.
    • The affordable units are semi-controlled by the City. That is, they can
purchased only by pre-qualified individuals or families of a defined size and
income level, and sold only at a price established by the City. In effect, this
means that the developers and the market-rate units must build and provide, at
a subsidized "below-market" cost, a certain number of affordable units.
    • Pre-qualified households buy the unit for which they are qualified at the
City price. But when they sell, they are not entitled to market-rate
appreciation -- normally, in Cambridge, a lot of money. Instead, they are
obligated to sell their units for the original purchase price, plus a very
marginal "profit" or inflation factor. City policy is to keep the affordable
units as close as possible to their original sale price, for as long as
possible.
    • Officially, Cornerstone is prohibited from "interfering" in the
City-controlled matching of pre-qualified households to units. Which means, we
have no formal mechanism for influencing who buys and moves in next. In
practice, however, we try to make plain to the City-selected candidates that
cohousing is not exactly like the other condo properties in Cambridge.
Interestingly enough, many pre-qualfied "low income" households look at the
coho model, and say, Whoa, this doesn't look right for us -- and move on to
some other opportunity. The "low income" households buying the limited equity
units then can end up being reasonably well-suited to the coho lifestyle. (As I
write this, I would characterize two of our affordable unit households as
well-acclimated to participating in our coho affairs, and the other two as
perhaps less well-acclimated.)
    • Apart from these formal public / institutional programs, a subset of
members and non-members, on individual initiative and outside our consensus
process, have joined together to purchase a unit, and make it available to
someone who has been living at Cornerstone for many years. It's not yet clear
exactly what way this program will or will not be sustainably
institutionalized.
    • Condo fees and other community-driven charges are calculated the same for
limited equity units as they are for market-rate units.

I would agree with Mr Paiss that, on the whole, this works OK. In fact, it all
comports with the "inclusionary zoning" I was active in writing and promoting
more than a decade ago. One of the lurking, largely un-discussable issues is
that some at Cornerstone fear the "low income" households benefiting from
below-market buy-in actually have better income, and more financial
flexibility, than others in the market-rate units. Could this be true? For my
part, I have been adamantly against Cornerstone prying into the finances of
individual households, or setting assessments from "means-testing" formulae
reliant on such data. I'd be interested to hear if any other cohos make
financial decisions or policies based on information about household finances.

RPD