Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 109, Issue 22
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:42:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bea,
We have town houses, so our HOA is only responsible for the common house and
other common property.  We divide the reserve fund fees (which are the bulk of
our fees) equally between units because we figure that usage of the commons
falls along per person lines, and everyone has equal access to our common
property.  We have single people living in both large and small units and
families living in both large and small units, so this seemed the most fair.
We divide operating costs with a complex formula that is based on number of
adults and number of children.  We also have two affordable housing units who
do not pay HOA dues.  We have a separately calculated fund for "community" dues
in which our affordable units participate that covers things like childcare for
meetings and the community garden (but not the landscaping).  We have had to
negotiate individually with household that have renters to set their fees
beyond the equal distribution of reserve fund fees--not an ideal situation, but
these are the things we do to come to consensus.
We're not aware of any laws in Oregon that regulate our allocation of fees.
Good luck with your project.
Melanie Mindlin