Re: Urban cohousing communities -- do you compost?
From: david bygott (davidbygottyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 04:58:58 -0800 (PST)
We have been using the "Bokashi" system for years and find it effective. All
you need is a few airtight buckets (you can buy online "gamma-seal" twist-off
lids that are easy to open and close and fit on any 5-gal bucket) and the EM
(effective microorganism) culture, which also you can find online. There's no
smell (unless your bucket leaks!) When we fill a bucket we set it aside for 3-4
weeks to allow the anaerobic fermentation to progress, before digging it into
the garden, so you need about 4-5 buckets to keep that rotation going. The
process can handle just about any food scraps, including eggshells and chicken
carcasses, but NOT plastics, and some items like large bones and avocado skins
& pits don't decompose. Here's a starter link:
http://cleantechnica.com/2009/03/03/bokashi-this-is-not-your-fathers-compost/

David Bygott
Milagro Cohousing