Re: Design review
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 09:57:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

O dear.  I find myself in the rare position of disagreeing w/ my neighbor,
Sharon.

Takoma Village does, indeed, have an Architectural Review process that is, in
fact, based on the architectural decisions we made in our design phase.
Modifications to the exterior of the condo must go through AR.  And in some
instances if an owner makes interior changes it must also go through AR.    I,
myself, have been through Architectural Review here at TVC when I had the
interior of my house remodeled to make it more accessible.  Altho' I was not
changing any of the exterior elements I was moving a wall and thought I might
need to make changes to the electrical system which is owned by the condo.
Plus the renovation crew was going to be in and out of our community for up to
15 weeks and I definitely felt the community should be aware of this and have
some say so in what to expect from workers coming and out of our CH (My home is
in the CH.)  Plus ... my very sweet community allowed me to use the CH office
to work out of while the work was being done.  And for two weeks I cooked in
the CH kitchen because my kitchen was pretty much gutted.  These last two
things were proposed by the AR team and the community at large.  What a gift!!

One way to view the AR team is to be a HELP to the homeowner -- not only to
maintain the standards of the community but  to assist in choosing the most
appropriate materials possible, to maintain the green and sustainable features
of the home and the community and to reduce the number of conflicts that could
arise from decisions that counter the vision of the community.    The people
best suited to help are those who were involved in the design process in the
first place.

We do have an AR team.  They do review submissions.  Of course, people do
forget that they are supposed to run even small things through AR if it means a
change to community owned and maintained property:  the exterior of the home,
and, the gas, water, electrical and HVAC systems interior to the home.  It
takes reminding.

Our natural flow as human beings is towards entropy.  We all have busy lives
and we forget stuff.  So, one day you're in HOme Depot and you see a really
great door bell or light to mount on your exterior door.  And it's on sale!
And it's exactly what you've been looking for!    ... and so you buy it and
install it totally forgetting AR.  It's not a character defect.  It's just
entropy.  Or, aging...

At today's membership meeting we're having a review of the "outdoor living in
the summer" guidelines we adopted a while ago.  Who can remember what we said
about children playing in the piazza even last year?

The biggest problem I bet you're facing is that the most knowledgeable people
in the community are the ones who were/are on the Design Team and they are
likely the ones who are completely burned out by the time you move in.  It's a
good thing to get these AR guidelines agreed upon just after your Design phase
is completed.  Then the whole things is still fresh in your memory and you're
not quite burned out yet.  If these are to be part of the By-laws then they
have to be completed way early in the whole development process.  Which is the
reason why standard developers use boiler plate by-laws.

PS -- I'm w/ you, Sharon.  I DO think good design and maintenance makes for a
much healthier community.  It's a very basic principal of architecture.  TVC is
pretty "tidy" compared to some cohousing communities I've visited ... except
for all that "stuff" stored on people's porches outside their homes.  Now, that
IS an example of a completely failed part of our community to enforce keeping
the exterior walkways and porches clear.  One day the Fire Marshall is going to
visit ...

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing